Monday, August 8, 2011

Greetings and Salutations

Welcome friends. The lovely thing that you are staring at on your computer screen is my first ever blog. Stand back and admire it in is marvelous glory. Study it. Be amazed by it's awesomeness.

Now wipe that tear from your eye. Theres a story to tell here people!

As an 18-year-old young woman heading off to college for the first time, I have received many reactions when I tell people I have finally graduated the (sometimes) hell hole that is high school. These reactions include:

The "OMG, I can't believe your going to college, so I will bombard you with many questions at once" reaction:
Person: "Your going to college?! Where are you going? When are you leaving? Do you know anybody going there as well? Can I come visit you? Who is your roommate? Have you met him/her yet? Will you party or study? If you could launch penguins from your dorm room at three in the morning, would you?"

(Yes, somebody did ask me that last question. To answer, no, I would not. However, if I could keep the penguins as pets, that would be a different matter)

The "I can't believe your that much older than I thought you were" reaction:
Person: "Wait, you've actually graduated from high school? Jesus Christ, your making me feel old. I thought your where at least entering tenth grade this year."

The "I've never heard of your college but everyone has heard of mine so I'm going to rub it in your face" reaction:
Person: "Oh, your going where? Well, I've never heard of it, but...uh...yeah, I'm sure its a good school. Anyway, I'm going to [Insert big name/well known/Ivy League school here], and everybody is just so proud that I got in there. I mean, it wasn't easy keeping a 4.0 in school and being a tri-athlete, but I was perfect all the same.
Schools were just begging me to come to their schools, and I got so many scholarships, it was hard to pick which one, because my life is just that awesome."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the whole, people have generally been very proud and happy for me when I tell them I am going to college. Most people are not rude about the fact that I am going to a college that not many people outside of my state have heard of. They are happy that I am growing up and making good, adult choices.

That is, until they ask me about what I'm majoring in.

We have all heard about "useless majors." By using the term "useless majors," people tend to think of majors that don't tend to guarantee you a job in the future. Theater. Dance. Asian Studies. Film. Retail Floristry. And the grandaddy of them all, English.

To quote Avenue Q, "What do you do with a BA in English?" What could you possibly do in the future after spending four years reading Jane Austen and F. Scott Fitzgerald? What could they possibly do in their lives?

However, whatever ill thoughts you may have on the English major, I come here to ell you that there is a major that is considered even more useless then English. A major that will make your future even more hopeless in society's eyes.

My friends, it is the Creative Writing major. It also happens to be what I will majoring in when I go to college.

I'm not talking about the English with an emphasis in Creative Writing major. I'm talking about the full blown Creative Writing major.

Now, there are only three reactions I get when I tell people that I am majoring in Creative Writing:

The "I have no talent or ability to write at all so good for you for knowing where your talents lie" reaction:
Person: "Wow, it's really cool that your doing that. I mean, I had no interest or ability to write when I was in college, so you must be really good at it. Yay for your naive dreams!"

The "Your majoring in what?" reaction:
Person: "Wow, I didn't even know that major existed. You must be super confident in your, uh, abilities. Anyway, I'm majoring in pre-med/pre-law/engineering because I actually want to go far in life."

The "Your poor, naive bastard" reaction:
Person: "I mean, you do realize that that major will get you nowhere in life right?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here I am, ready to prove the non-believers in Creative Writing wrong as I blog about my life at college. Prepare to be blown away.

No comments:

Post a Comment