Thursday, December 1, 2011

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas (if you are a poor college student).

Feliz Navidad my fellow readers! Yes, I know it is a bit early to be giving out the Christmas greetings, but I can't help it. Christmas is my absolutely favorite holiday. It's just such a cheerful and beautiful holiday. My favorite part about Christmas? Giving gifts to others and seeing their happy faces light up with joy. 

However, this year, I have realized that it will be much trickier to give gifts and get into the christmas spirit. Instead of being in my house blasting Christmas music all the time, I now live in a dorm where there are certain quiet hours and other people. Also, my monetary funds have to go to more “important” things that getting gifts for my family and friends. However, I have come up with a good way to help you get into the spirit and do your Christmas shopping with ease!

How to get into the spirit:

Blast that music! (during non-quiet hours): Nothing gets people more into the spirit of Christmas then a good Christmas playlist. Just make sure that other people around you aren't bothered by the songs. If your unsure of what songs to chose, here is my personal playlist:
  • Hark! The Herald Angles Sing
    All I Want for Christmas is You
    Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
    Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer
    Your a Mean One, Mr. Grinch
    Little Saint Nick
    I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause
    Santa Baby
    White Christmas
    Carol of the Bells
    God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Decorate Your Room: This can be done quite easily and cheaply. One day my friends and I all sat down simply to cut snowflakes out of paper and hung them everywhere. We all got stockings and hung them outside our door. Hang lights around your room. One of my friends parent's was even generous enough to get us a fake Christmas tree!

Carol around Campus: This is especially fun if it starts to snow. Walk around and belt those songs to your hearts content. Even better, some colleges have programs that allow you to send a Christmasgram (“What's a Christmasgram? I want one!”) to anybody you want for a small fee, usually just $1.


Watch the Classics: If you and your friends are into snuggling and watching movies, grab some old holiday favorites and some hot cocoa for some great fun. My personal favorites for Christmas are A Christmas Story, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the cartoon version), A Christmas Carol, Elf, and A Year Without a Santa Clause (Snow Miser is the man).

How to Give Gifts (if you are poor):

Secret Santa's are your friend: So you've arrived at college and have made at least 15 great new friends right? That's all fine and dandy till you realize you have to get a gift for every single one of them. But fear not my friends. Suggest to your group to have a Secret Santa, where you only have to get one gift for someone, and agree to a maximum low cost. Believe me, nobody will try to stop you.

5 Below is the greatest store in existence: 5 Below has great, fun items that never go above $5 in price! What poor college student doesn't want to here that? They have everything from movies to t-shirts to lava lamps, so if your stuck on what to get them. If you have a little more cash on you and have a girl as your gift receiver, Bath and Body Works is always a great place as well during the holiday season. They have the most amazing lotion infused peppermint scented socks.

Still want to give everyone else a gift? Candy Canes!: Candy Canes are always a great Christmas gift. If your short on funds, get the packs of the kind you would hang on a Christmas tree, tie a little note with a ribbon around it and voila! Instant Christmas gift. If your feeling a little more generous, try to find the awesome large hand pulled candy canes (carful though: They break easily).

I hope that this was able to help you get into the spirit of Christmas. God bless us everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment